Countdown to 2015-16 Magnet Deadline: What You Need to Know!
by Tanya Anton | GoMamamGuide.com
Hey LAUSD Residents: The Magnet Deadline is a week from tomorrow. If you haven’t already, get your app in today!
What you NEED to know:
Magnet programs are court-ordered voluntary integration programs that provide a diverse, enriched, theme-based educational environment for lucky lottery winners. With almost 200 magnet programs throughout LAUSD, there are lots of specialized school opportunities to apply to, with transportation provided if you qualify.
Additionally, since its based on a weighted lottery system, there are those confounded points! If you’ve picked up one of my guidebooks or attended one of my talks, you should be well-versed in the ins and outs of magnet point collection and selection strategy: How to get in. How NOT to get in. How to maximize your options for future years. (Confused? Don’t panic, I’ll help you!)
In any case, between now (Oct 1st) and Friday, November 14th, 2014 BEFORE 5p, LAUSD residents can apply online to the Magnet programs of their choosing for the following year. Visit echoices.lausd.net to apply. It’s paperless. It’s easy. And it’s free.
- Must be an LAUSD resident to be eligible. Falsified applications will be disqualified and removed from the program.
- No longer accepting late applications. But you can make changes to your online app up until the final Nov 14th 5pm deadline.
- First round of Notification letters will go out by the end of March and will be sent via email if applied online. After that, additional admissions opportunities will be offered in the order of the wait list until all seats are full.
– Students MAY be contacted with an opening up until the 4th week of school.(This DOES happen. The late notification. It happened to us last year.) Waitlist points will finalize after then. *Students may also be called during the first 2 weeks of the spring semester. (I don’t personally know anyone who got this call, but beware, it’s in the fine print.)
- If you “Don’t Answer” the call/email it’s still considered a pass – and you lose all accumulated wait list points.
– And if you’re just joining our crazy system, the first day of school for LAUSD in the “Fall” is Tuesday, August 11, 2015. Yeah. It’s early.
So, let’s get those Magnet apps in!
General Magnet Info
- You can select UP TO 3 MAGNET Choices on the application. Points will only attach to your 1st choice. (2nd and 3rd choices will be entered with 0 points.) If you aren’t selected in any of your choices during the initial automated lottery, you are placed back on the waitlist of your 1st choice.
- You are not required to select 3 choices. If accepted to ANY magnet program at any point and turn it down, you will lose ALL accumulated waitlist points.
- Only submit ONE application per child. (Check with other parent to make sure you didn’t both apply.) Must be applying for the correct and appropriate grade for 2015. State Law governs age eligibility: 5 by Sept 1st for Kinder, 6 by Sept 1st for 1st Grade.
- You may change your selection(s) every year. The points follow the child.
- Student info (address, telephone, grade) MUST MATCH info at child’s current LAUSD school. (Think robo-call info.) It is the parent’s responsibility to complete the application correctly or it will be rejected.
- Points are assigned based on the info in the District’s system on the date of application processing. Any changes of address must be made at your child’s LAUSD school of attendance before the application deadline to be considered for the assignment of priority points. Again, it’s the Parents’/Guardians’ responsibility to verify student info. (Hello MISIS!)
- Twins are treated as individuals and require separate apps. There is a space to enter sibling info on each app. If only one gets in, sibling points will apply the following year.
- If currently attending a Magnet and wish to stay there…DO NOTHING! If you apply elsewhere and are selected into another magnet, you will be unceremoniously dropped from your current magnet program and auto-enrolled in the new one. (This has happened to folks trying to collect points while attending a magnet program. No! That’s what Matriculation points are for.)
- Gifted/High Ability and Highly Gifted applicants must provide verification AHEAD of the Nov 14 deadline. See: echoices.lausd.net/Magnet/GiftedCriteria